Easter sewing

I’ve not been able to do much sewing recently for reasons I’ll reveal in another post. However I was determined to change that this weekend.

I started off on Friday using a Scrap Pack that I’d bought from Simply Solids and tackled a job I’d been putting off for a while, repairing one of our duvet covers. We both like pure cotton bedding and  in Super King size duvet covers are expensive so I did a colourful repair.

I started covering the holes caused by DH’s stubble  with a red block and then realised that an area adjacent to it was also thin so applied the yellow. With a bit of planning I should  have applied the yellow first as it would look much better but I just did as I went along.

Primary Geometric repair job

Primary Geometric repair job

The damage was just on the top fold of the cover where it sits near his face during the night so during the day only a flash of red can be seen:

 

Repair to duvet cover

Repair to duvet cover

I knew that I wouldn’t be able to do an invisible repair to a stripped cover so went with something bright and bold. We both like it and with stitch and tear stabiliser on the back it should last for a few years. It’s a fiddly job as the fabric had to be hooped and as the cover is HUGE it was a pain but it’s done now.

Next up was a far more enjoyable task, making some hexagon flowers.  I started this project last summer but haven’t done any for ages.

Hexagon flowers from scrap fabrics

Hexagon flowers from scrap fabrics

These were made using hexagons already cut up.

Skull and Cross bones hexi flower

Skull and Cross bones hexi flower

This one is my favourite so far. The centre fabric was left over from a make up bag I made for my daughter and the surrounding red fabric from another I made for one of my nieces.

Then I used the Scrap pack again and cut out more hexagons with my Accuquilt Go!

Sewn up but un-ironed they look like little colourful flowers:

Hexi flowers

Hexi flowers

Pretty flowers...

Pretty flowers…

Ironing transforms them:

Hexagon flowers made from a Simply Solids scrap pack with a few hexagons from printed scraps

Hexagon flowers made from a Simply Solids scrap pack with a few hexagons from printed scraps

 

Added to the flowers/blocks I did the day before:

Even more Hexagon flowers

Even more Hexagon flowers

and finally the whole lot:

Lots of hexagon flowers

Lots of hexagon flowers

All piled up:

Hexi flower tower

Hexi flower tower

 

Afterwards I found another un-ironed flower that I’d missed:

Last little hexi flower

Last little hexi flower

 

I’ve roughly worked out what I’m doing with them but haven’t chosen the backing fabric yet. I’m leaning towards a textured solid like Essex Yarn Dyed or Essex Linen at the moment but need to see samples before I can make up my mind. Size wise I’m not sure yet but it’ll be staying here. Nearly every piece of fabric has an association and it’s a big investment timewise so it won’t be given away.